I started on Bio-K+® after my second 6-month bout with C.difficile, in 2006. I rely on it to keep me healthy and take one bottle every day. After 30+ years with IBS, I am completely astounded with what this product has accomplished.
When and Why
Each probiotic has unique properties. It is very important that you chose a probiotic well-supported by research.
- Select a strain that has specific and scientifically proven strains working in synergy, as not all strains produce significant results, and multiple strains may simply be competing with each other1.
- Look for a probiotic supported by clinical research carried out on the finished product and not just on the bacteria.
- Compare products in terms of the quantity of probiotic bacteria provided as well as their stability over time – and look for guaranteed potency for the entire shelf life - not just at the time of manufacturing.
- The probiotic should come in an active food form, or look for an enteric coated capsule that helps the probiotic bacteria reach the intestinal tract.
Everyday your intestinal flora is exposed to factors that can weaken it: stress, poor nutrition, food poisoning, antibiotic treatments, pollution, contaminated water, etc. Bio-K+®, as part of a daily approach to wellness, affirms the fundamental importance of the digestive system in maintaining optimal health. For best results we recommend that adults take one bottle per day for a month, and ½ - 1 bottle a day afterwards, and for children aged 1-12, 1 tablespoon to ½ bottle per day.
At certain times we can find ourselves at higher risk of contracting gastroenterological infections. In countries where food and water-handling conditions are less strictly regulated, travelers are exposed to a wide variety of pathogens that can take root in the digestive tract. If the intestinal flora is out of balance the body’s natural defences are lessened and the effects of exposure to pathogens can be more severe, or longer lasting. Hospital patients undergoing treatment with antibiotics face depletion of their intestinal microflora and an increased exposure to secondary infections. More and more hospitals are turning to probiotics as an effective means for the treating and prevention of both antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) and C. difficile-associated diarrhea (CDAD)2.
Bio-K+® can conveniently be taken at any time of day. For best results when taking antibiotics, waiting two hours before consuming Bio-K+®. is recommended.
- 1. Denou et al. A mesocosm of Lactobacillus johnsonii, Bifidobacterium longum, and Escherichia coli in the mouse gut. DNA Cell Biol. 2009. 28:413-422.
- 2. Rohde et al. The use of probiotics in the prevention and treatment of antibiotic-associated diarrhea with special interest in Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea. Clin Nutr Pract. 2009. 24:33-40