I would like to thank you so much for your dairy-free probiotics. I have severe IBS and have been taking Bio-K+® for over two months now and have noticed a remarkable improvment.
L. acidophilus & L. casei
The manner by which strains of micro-organisms are deemed to be probiotic must be based upon criteria agreed upon by the scientific community. The essential criteria of a quality probiotic, relative to the bacterial strains used, are1:
- That it be of human origin
- Resist stomach acidity and bile salts
- Adhere to human intestinal cells
- Colonize (even transiently) the human intestine
- Be antagonistic towards pathogenic bacteria
- Produce antimicrobial substances
- Have immune modulation properties
- Have a history of safe use in humans
Unfortunately, very few products labelled as probiotics have undergone double-blind, clinical trials with their results published in peer-reviewed medical journals. The effectiveness of a probiotic is determined by the interrelationship of a whole host of factors including: strain(s), quantity, and the form in which it is prepared for consumption. Consumers should look for information from studies carried out specifically on the final product as and when it is consumed and not those merely derived from in vitro studies on isolated bacterial strains.
L. acidophilus AND L. casei - BASED LACTIC CULTURE
The unique Bio-K+ CL1285® probiotic formulation composed of L. acidophilus CL1285® and L. casei LBC80R® is the result of research dating back to 1960 when Dr. François-Marie Luquet, a leading expert on lactic microbiology, first succeeded in isolating an exceptionally robust lactic culture with particularly therapeutic properties from an acidophilus base. This singular discovery inspired decades of research and development culminating in the realization of Bio-K+®: a naturally-sourced, dietary probiotic whose clinically-confirmed health benefits are supported by research presented in peer-reviewed journals.
The probiotic strains in Bio-K+® work in natural synergy, each complementing the others qualities rather than competing. The result is a dual efficiency that is particularly effective at inhibiting the proliferation of pathogenic micro-organisms in the intestine2. Combining and containing the L. acidophilus CL1285® and L. casei LBC80R® strains alive and active in a food substrate whose sole function is to preserve the probiotic potency (it’s not a yogurt!) is unique to the Bio-K+ CL1285® formulation and was developed to maximize the tremendous health potential of L. acidophilus CL1285® and L. casei LBC80R®.
- 1. Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation on Evaluation of Health and Nutritional Properties of Probiotics in Food Including Powder Milk with Live Lactic Acid Bacteria, October 2001.
- 2. Ng SC et al. Mechanisms of action of probiotics: recent advances. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2009. 15:300-310.